3.16.1 kernel for STABLE?
Andreas Jaeger
2014-08-17 17:32:06 UTC
HEAD is currently at 3.16.0 and stable at 3.15.8.

Could somebody update, please?

Thanks,
Andreas
Takashi Iwai
2014-08-18 09:12:34 UTC
At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 19:32:06 +0200,
Post by Andreas Jaeger
HEAD is currently at 3.16.0 and stable at 3.15.8.
Could somebody update, please?
Jiri is on vacation now, and I don't know who is the backup
maintainer...

Takashi
Jiri Slaby
2014-08-18 09:45:17 UTC
Post by Andreas Jaeger
HEAD is currently at 3.16.0 and stable at 3.15.8.
Could somebody update, please?
Jiri is on vacation now, and I don't know who is the backup
maintainer...
No worries, Jiri is back online and 3.16.1 in place ;).
--
js
suse labs
Andreas Jaeger

Takashi Iwai
2014-08-18 11:01:45 UTC
Post by Andreas Jaeger
HEAD is currently at 3.16.0 and stable at 3.15.8.
Could somebody update, please?
Jiri is on vacation now, and I don't know who is the backup
maintainer...
No worries, Jiri is back online and 3.16.1 in place ;).
Good to hear you're back :)

While we're at it: what do you think of backup maintenance of
Kernel:stable during your absence? Would you mind if anyone of kernel
team takes over the role?

Takashi
Andreas Färber
2014-08-18 13:16:01 UTC
Hi,
[...] what do you think of backup maintenance of
Kernel:stable during your absence? Would you mind if anyone of kernel
team takes over the role?
On a related matter, are the scripts that are used to maintain
Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable actually in some public place others can
submit patches against?

* Kernel:stable "ARM" repository is building against openSUSE:12.2:ARM
and failing with unresolvable pesign-obs-integration. Suggest to drop
it, as armv7l and aarch64 are covered by the "ports" repository already.

* Both Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable try to build "ARM" repository for
x86_64, which is senseless (unresolvable).

* Should Kernel:stable cover armv6l somehow? Kernel:HEAD does via
Factory:ARM. 13.1:Ports includes armv6l, but 13.1:Update does not.
Similarly there's no ppc64le stable kernel. Pointing this out since
Kernel:stable has become the devel project for Factory, so it might make
sense to detect build errors early.

Also I find it rather confusing that the master branch is being updated
to a stable kernel rather than doing that on the stable branch only,
given that v3.17-rc1 was tagged the day before the update to v3.16.1.
It results in a non-linear history wrt upstream git.

Regards,
Andreas
Michal Marek
2014-08-18 13:26:09 UTC
Post by Andreas Färber
Hi,
[...] what do you think of backup maintenance of
Kernel:stable during your absence? Would you mind if anyone of kernel
team takes over the role?
On a related matter, are the scripts that are used to maintain
Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable actually in some public place others can
submit patches against?
* Kernel:stable "ARM" repository is building against openSUSE:12.2:ARM
and failing with unresolvable pesign-obs-integration. Suggest to drop
it, as armv7l and aarch64 are covered by the "ports" repository already.
This is set in rpm/config.sh in the kernel-source repository. I'll drop
the ARM repo.
Post by Andreas Färber
* Both Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable try to build "ARM" repository for
x86_64, which is senseless (unresolvable).
This needs to be fixed in the openSUSE:Factory:ARM configuration:
$ osc meta prj openSUSE:Factory:ARM
<repository name="standard" rebuild="local" linkedbuild="all">
<path project="openSUSE:Factory" repository="ports"/>
<arch>aarch64</arch>
<arch>armv7l</arch>
<arch>armv6l</arch>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
</repository>
Post by Andreas Färber
Also I find it rather confusing that the master branch is being updated
to a stable kernel rather than doing that on the stable branch only,
given that v3.17-rc1 was tagged the day before the update to v3.16.1.
It results in a non-linear history wrt upstream git.
This has been this way for some time, so as not to submit an -rc1 to
Factory. But now that the 'stable' branch is used for Factory, we might
change it. But I'm not doing the version updates, so I don't know how
difficult it is :). Jeff, what do you think?

Thanks,
Michal
Andreas Schwab
2014-08-18 13:55:07 UTC
Post by Michal Marek
$ osc meta prj openSUSE:Factory:ARM
There is nothing to fix here. The configuration is perfectly correct.

Andreas.
--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab-***@public.gmane.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
Andreas Färber
2014-08-18 13:55:31 UTC
Post by Michal Marek
Post by Andreas Färber
* Both Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable try to build "ARM" repository for
x86_64, which is senseless (unresolvable).
$ osc meta prj openSUSE:Factory:ARM
<repository name="standard" rebuild="local" linkedbuild="all">
<path project="openSUSE:Factory" repository="ports"/>
<arch>aarch64</arch>
<arch>armv7l</arch>
<arch>armv6l</arch>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
</repository>
No, there's nothing wrong there. x86_64 is needed for QEMU/aggregate OBS
trickery, so dropping it from Factory:ARM is not going to happen. The
issue is not in Factory:ARM but in those devel projects. It has not been
an issue elsewhere as most projects are maintained by humans rather than
automated scripts.
Post by Michal Marek
From my limited experience with home: and other projects, a repository
does not need to build for all architectures in the base repository, so
surely there must be some way to not do x86_64 builds here. Where are
the config.sh variables processed for the project config?

Was reported at least two times already without resolution.

Thanks,
Andreas
Andreas Schwab
2014-08-18 14:01:25 UTC
Post by Andreas Färber
No, there's nothing wrong there. x86_64 is needed for QEMU/aggregate OBS
trickery, so dropping it from Factory:ARM is not going to happen. The
issue is not in Factory:ARM but in those devel projects. It has not been
an issue elsewhere as most projects are maintained by humans rather than
automated scripts.
Really the correct solution is to stop this insane script. The
repository configuration needs to be set up only once.

Andreas.
Jiri Slaby
2014-08-19 07:38:05 UTC
Post by Andreas Färber
[...] what do you think of backup maintenance of
Kernel:stable during your absence? Would you mind if anyone of kernel
team takes over the role?
Hi,

no, I wouldn't mind.
Post by Andreas Färber
On a related matter, are the scripts that are used to maintain
Kernel:HEAD and Kernel:stable actually in some public place others can
submit patches against?
They are in the kernel repository:
scripts/stableids -- generate a patch and a list of included SHAs
scripts/stableup -- apply the patch and remove all patches from the
repository having a SHA in the list above

So:
* in the linux tree with stable tree up-to-date:
~/repos/suse/kernel-source/scripts/stableids localhost v3.16..v3.16.1

That will scp patch-3.16.1 and ids file to localhost:/dev/shm

Note that I personally use ***@some_suse_machine instead of
localhost, hence scp.

* in the suse kernel repo:
./scripts/stableup /dev/shm/patch-*[0-9] /dev/shm/ids

That will move the patch to patches.kernel.org/, update series.conf and
remove all patches which are superseded by the stable patch (including
series.conf update).
Post by Andreas Färber
Also I find it rather confusing that the master branch is being updated
to a stable kernel rather than doing that on the stable branch only,
given that v3.17-rc1 was tagged the day before the update to v3.16.1.
It results in a non-linear history wrt upstream git.
I don't see the point. We are not even trying to preserve the history
wrt to upstream git. This was like that for ages. It is just 3.16,
3.16.1, 3.17-rc1, which is a perfect linear history for our RPMs.

Take into account that rc1 updates are not for free and require a hard
and tedious work from Jeff's part. Until he sorts that out, it's IMNSHO
good to have the stable releases in Kernel:HEAD. Quite the contrary, I
(and perhaps others) do not want to see Kernel:HEAD (like 3.16) be
lagging behind Kernel:stable (like 3.16.1). Kernel:stable shall be
always behind Kernel:HEAD.

thanks,
--
js
suse labs
David Sterba
2014-08-19 11:19:10 UTC
Post by Jiri Slaby
[...] what do you think of backup maintenance of
Kernel:stable during your absence? Would you mind if anyone of kernel
team takes over the role?
no, I wouldn't mind.
I'm willing to do the update, feel free to poke me when needed.