Detecting USB 2 or 3
Sankar P
2014-07-04 14:59:39 UTC
Hi,

I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com
Guillaume Gardet
2014-07-04 15:10:13 UTC
Hi,
Post by Sankar P
Hi,
I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
Not sure -kernel ML is the right place for this one.

But "lsusb" and "dmesg" commands should give you some infos.

Guillaume
Greg KH
2014-07-04 16:34:00 UTC
Post by Sankar P
Hi,
I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
You can have a USB keyboard that is going at the slowest USB speed and
it is still "USB 3.0 compliant". USB 3 doesn't dictate speeds, but it
does offer faster speeds if your device supports it, which it doesn't
sound like it does...

good luck,

greg k-h
Greg Freemyer
2014-07-04 16:55:46 UTC
Post by Sankar P
Hi,
I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
The easiest way is look at your connectors. On the disk usb-3 connectors look like the have 2 sections.

On the PC side it is very common for usb-3 ports to have a blue color. I've never seen a usb-2 with blue in it.

Also, be sure and try each of your usb ports. Most laptops have a mix of usb 2 and 3 ports.

Lastly, look at the lsusb output. Usb-3 is called superspeed. Trouble is knowing which ports are which from the lsusb output.

Greg
Sankar P
2014-07-05 08:55:59 UTC
Post by Greg Freemyer
Post by Sankar P
Hi,
I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
The easiest way is look at your connectors. On the disk usb-3 connectors look like the have 2 sections.
Yes :)
Post by Greg Freemyer
Also, be sure and try each of your usb ports. Most laptops have a mix of usb 2 and 3 ports.
Lastly, look at the lsusb output. Usb-3 is called superspeed. Trouble is knowing which ports are which from the lsusb output.
Yes :-)

Thank you so much. The USB ports on the leftside of the laptop were
indeed blue in color and were having the letters "ss" (superspeed). I
am right handed and so I used the RHS usb ports but sadly they were
USB 2 only. This is an usability issue in the thinkpad laptop. Also
there is no reason why they can't have all the USB drives on the RHS
and move the DVD drive to the left, if at all they want to have it ;)

I get a speed of about 60 MBPS average (starting from 80 MBPS and
settling at 60-70 MBPS). Thank you so much everyone :)
Post by Greg Freemyer
Greg
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com
Malcolm
2014-07-04 15:04:32 UTC
Post by Sankar P
Hi,
I recently bought a Transcend external hard disk which is advertised
as USB 3.0 compliant. I have a Thinkpad T430 which is also advertised
to be USB 3.0 compliant. I get transfer speeds of only up to 20 MBPS.
Is there any way to see if either of the products is not actually USB
3.0 complaint ?
Hi
On my HP ProBook 4430s, the USB 3.0 port is blue, the other three are
USB 2.0. Maybe you need to check which port(s) are USB 3.0 from the
output of lsusb.
--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-17-desktop